Fun Facts

Mar 02, 2019

  • The history of popcorn and movies goes back to 1912, when it was sold outside theater doors as a tasty, affordable snack.
  • In 1938, Glen Dickson first began installing popcorn machines (invented by Charles Cretors in 1885) in the lobbies of his Midwest movie theaters.
  • Popcorn is the official snack of Illinois G.H. Cretors' home state!
  • Nearly 70% of popcorn is eaten at home; most of the other 30% is eaten in theaters, stadiums, schools and other entertainment venues.
  • National Popcorn Day is celebrated annually on January 19.
  • Popcorn can pop up to three feet in the air.
  • There are about 1,600 unpopped popcorn kernels in one cup.
  • Popcorn is made up of both white and yellow kernels, but only one in 10 are white.
  • Americans eat around 17 billion quarts of popcorn every year, an amount that would fill the Empire State Building 18 times!

Q:What’s the story of G.H. Cretors?

A: G.H Cretors makes handcrafted poppedcorn snacks in small batches with real, high quality ingredients, free of
GMOs, artificial colors, flavors and preservatives. The brand is the newest venture by Cornfields, Inc., a private label
manufacturer of “better for you” popped corn, rice, potato, and vegetable snacks and confections. G.H. Cretors is the
number four popcorn brand in the country and is significantly exceeding category growth.

The company is in Waukegan, Ill. In nearby Chicago, another branch of the Cretors family still makes the commercial popping machines invented by Claire's great great grandfather Charles Cretors in 1885.

Q: What type of ingredients do you use, and how is your poppedcorn made?

A: G.H. Cretors crafts its popped corn with high quality simple and real ingredients, and no artificial flavors, colors, or
preservatives The popped corn is made in small batches with much care and attention. For example, we use Midwestern grown popcorn and cook our caramel one batch at a time in old fashioned copper kettles. Our ingredients are nonGMO, gluten free and Kosher Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil and Organic Dill Pickle are also vegan.

Q: What different varies of popped corn do you have?

A: G.H. Cretors takes pride in launching innovative flavors. We offer a wide array of classic favorites and organic
products, such as a cheese popped corn, caramel popped corn, and a mix of cheese and caramel popped corn.
To add a pop of excitement to the brand and category, limited edition flavors are launched annually.
Double Chocolate Caramel Corn, Pumpkin Spice Caramel Corn and Orchard Apple Caramel Corn were 2015 holiday highlights.

In spring 2016, we’ve added two fresh and bold new flavors: Organic Dill Pickle and Organic Chile Jalapeño White Cheddar, the first of their kind to be certified organic.

Q: Where can I buy G.H. Cretors Popped Corn?

A. Our products can be purchased at retailors nationwide, including Whole Foods, Target, Costco Wholesale, Safeway,
Albertsons, Rite Aid, your local grocer or specialty foods store, or online at

To find a retailer near you, visit our store locator at

Find Products Near You
Copyright © 2019 G.H. Cretors